Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Food, Food, Complicated Food

I've had this subject on my mind for about 4 days and have been meaning to write it, but have been very busy grocery shopping, chopping, cooking, eating, and cleaning.  So let me back up a bit.  While awake very early in the morning, my usual routine, I was getting caught up on what my dvr had saved for me.  One was an Oprah episode about food.  She had on Michael Pollan, author of Food 101 and it blew me away.  Now, I've dabbled in healthy eating and have thought about the lives of the animals.  I buy cage free eggs because I can't stand to think about those poor things stuffed into crates, and I need to have the vision of a happy bird laying eggs for my nourishment.  I was a vegetarian for a few years back in the mid 90's but I wasn't a healthy one.  I just didn't eat meat.  It didn't stop me from eating potato chips.  I gave it up on my first Thanksgiving in California, when I just couldn't bear to skip the turkey.  I must say it took a while for my stomach to get used to processing meat again, so that evening wasn't a fun time for me.  Anyway, back to the point of this.  Michael Pollan had a lot of interesting points and I began thinking about the food I eat, how much of it was processed food, how the animals are treated, and it inspired me to make better choices about what I put in my mouth.  Oprah also discussed the documentary Food Inc.  I haven't watched it yet, but she showed a clip and I know I need to prepare myself to watch it, but it won't be easy.  One point that really grabbed me was the comparison of the percent of an American's income spent on food years ago (high), and the percent spent on healthcare (low).  Since that time, the amount of income we now spend on food is greatly reduced, but the amount we spend on healthcare is becoming higher and higher.  We're eating ourselves into diabetes and death.  It was also pointed out that a family of 4 can eat more cheaply at a fast food restaurant than they can if they bought fresh vegetables and meat at a grocery store, so people are incentivized to eat unhealthy food.

As I listened to the show I thought about the dinner I had made the night before; pasta mixed with Velveeta cheese, salsa, and ground turkey.  It was easy and tasty.  Trust me, I don't use Velveeta frequently, but ease of a meal had been winning out for a long time.  I was inspired to make a change and think about the quality of the food and the lives of the animals I was consuming.  Next stop?  Whole Foods.  I bought my favorite fresh mango salsa, kale and apples for my juicer (but I forgot the carrots!!), and I ventured out of my comfort zone and picked up coconut milk.  Not the thick kind in a can, but alongside the milk and soy milk.  Coconut milk!  I'm willing to give it a try.  I also foraged through the nuts and granolas and packed up non-salted and non-sweetened pecans and walnuts.  I also bought grass-fed beef; 2 small steaks and ground beef.  If they had to die, I'm happy knowing they were munching on grass as they should, and not corn or even worse, their own cousins.  To top it all off, I discovered Whole Foods muesli bread.  Now you will rarely find me typing this but.....OMG.  This bread has nuts, seeds, fruits, and probably a few trees in it.  It is absolutely delicious and I wish I could fall asleep with a warm loaf next to me in bed.

Since my shopping trip, I've done a pretty good job of preparing dinner for my Mother and myself.  Last night we had spinach with a little dressing, cut up pears, a handful of nuts, chunks of avocado and some super sharp cheddar because I just love cheddar.  Muesli bread also made an appearance.  Tonight we had basmati rice (yes, brown rice would have been better but I'm not perfect).  I also included sauteed asparagus and sauteed mushrooms, and a mixture of cherry tomatoes, mozzarella hunks and balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  I had already killed off the basil I purchased last week.  For my work lunches and snacks so far this week (two whole days), I've brought nuts for all day nibbling, muesli bread because I don't go anywhere without it now, cheddah (said with a Boston accent), pears, and hummus.

I haven't done the juicing yet.  I need to pick up some carrots as they are the main ingredient for my juice.  I add kale, apples, pears, and anything else in my kitchen that I think will juice well.  I use beets when I have them, but you must use them sparingly as the flavor is quite strong and it will overpower everything else.  It really makes a delicious drink.

I know there will be days when I want a hot bowl of french fries, and I'll have them occasionally.  I'm aiming to make more good choices than bad, and fit a bit of exercise in.  Its a good goal.

Before I go I must update you on the cat's diet.  I believe I mentioned before that I was switching them all to a more healthy food.  I've played around with it a bit and am still serving up the Ziwi Peak and have added in raw food from Especially for Pets, the best pet food store around.  I also use Addiction cat food and have noticed BIG changes in the last 2 weeks.  First of all, we don't all run and hide when they use the litter boxes.  My Mother's in-law apartment is small so when a cat would do his poopadoop, it would stink up the place and my Mother would have to put on the ceiling fan to try to move the gas cloud out.  I realized yesterday that there hasn't been a stinky turd in at least a week.  In addition, my two old boys who live with me have increased energy.  The one who uses stairs to get onto my bed (yes, I bought him pet steps) actually jumped onto my bed last night.  That hasn't happened in years!  I'm feeling good about these changes and feeling good that my cats are no longer eating more healthy than I am.

I'll keep you all posted on our progress, human and feline.  I'll be sure to write and let you know how the coconut milk went down.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the Oprah as well. Bought organic milk. It doesn't froth like the antibiotic and HGH-packed stuff :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Oprah episode also, and it was good. I am currently on Jenny Craig, eating all of their food. Maybe when I start eating food on my own again, (I need to lose about 15 more pounds)I will buy more healthy food. I have bought the junk food for the kids, and I do my best to limit it. I try to get fruit in to them also. And yes B, that did include chocolate chip waffles- LOL !!

    ReplyDelete